Thursday, November 4, 2010

It is cold.

The weather this year has been a bit crazy. It was a brutally hot summer. And it seemed to stay warm rather well. Then suddenly it was cold. Then it was mild. And now it's frigid.

I am sad.

You see I am pretty much always cold. Even in the summer I spend most of the time cold because everyone feels the need to blast the AC.

Now the normal answer to this problem would be: so turn on the heat. But alas, I am also cheap. It's quite the dilemma, but the cheapness is totally winning.

Things that I have done to avoid turning on my heat (which btw is still off despite the fact that the apartment is consistently in the 50's now):

1. Add extra blankets - During the summer I have a sheet and a comforter on my bed. When it started getting cool at night I added a second comforter. When things were getting rather chilly I added in my retro electric blanket which I (aim to) turn on 20 minutes before bed and then turn off the idea being that body heat can then maintain stasis. At that point I was still waking up with cold feet which was very sad. So I recently added another thermal typeish blanket plus a fleece blanket (with penguins on it!) which covers the bottom 2/3 of the bed. I've also started sleeping in my pajama bottoms, thick socks, a long sleeved shirt, and a sweatshirt.

2. Space heater - As awesome as it is, at times I am loath to use my space heater. This is because I know that the thing will totally jack up my electric bill. But it's less expensive than oil so it has been on recently. Plus Bran is not cheap like me and so turns things on without a second thought. Last winter I discovered the best use of heater was to open the foot rest part of my couch. Place the space heater under the foot rest. And cover me and it with a blanket. It pretty much always gets downright hot before too long.

No comments: