Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Drama in the Flute Section, part III

Present Day:

When I went to take a seat in the front row there were no other regular firsts. Just 1A, the piccolo player. She informed me that 1B was sick, 1D moved out of state, and I didn’t catch what was up with 1C but she wasn’t there. And so there were only two chairs set up for us making it quite easy to figure out where to be seated.

And so for the evening I played all 1st music. In one of the songs there were even little solos that I played. I'm pretty sure I played them well even. But my perspective on the situation is not ideal for being the most objective.

At the end of rehearsal our director listed of a bunch of music that she wanted us to practice for next week. I figured I really ought to at least take it home so I'd at least be able to practice if the miraculous occurred. But chances are I was using someone else's folder. Dun dun dun. So I told 1A as much and asked her that if others arrived before me to the next rehearsal tell them not to panic. And I'm really just trying not to step on anyone's toes.

I'm sure that the Queen is festering with anger. She really can't stand any of the other 1sts, and well ok they're playing drives me nuts sometimes too. But now that I may have been promoted ahead of her. It may be 'fair' because I've been with the band longer. But she's older and in her eyes a much better player.

All in all I really don't know if my move is permanent even. At some point 1A commented that I'm flexible, which is entirely true. I'll do whatever. And I'll do it well.

No comments: